Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Trip to Mars,with a catch.


            Manned missions to Mars are a long way off. For now we will have to settle on unmanned probes before any self sustaining base can be designed and constructed there. However there is a way to go to Mars. It is a one way trip though. There is an initiative to send willing volunteers to the red planet with no hope of return. Apparently it would be to expensive to bring them back. Not many people would want to go to Mars without a way home. I don't blame them. However, I have thought about the one way trip to Mars. For me it can do a few things.
          I get to experience Mars first hand. That is amazing in itself. I also be the one to set the foundation for future bases on Mars. Lastly, it get to actually do something with my life. Something that I both enjoy and will help others. I can devote my life to science. I can benefit humanity and serve a purpose. That said, if I am the only one to go to Mars and I live the rest of my life there with no other human arriving in my life time that brings a few concerns.
          First off, I may go mad. Secondly, aside from mission control there will be no way for me to share my experiences with people. Again battling with cabin fever and isolation. And finally, when I do die on Mars who will bury me? 
          I still think about going to Mars, knowing that I won't come back. If I did go I would request to take a few things with me. First off I want to bring a telescope so I could see the stars from a different perspective. I would also like them to furnish me with a plaque similar to the ones that were sent on Voyager 1 and 2. And, if I could, I want to name the Mars base after Carl Sagan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment